The Philadelphia Flyers run for the Stanley Cup ended with a 4-0 loss to the New York Islanders in Game7. After roaring back from a 3-1 deficit, the Flyers energy just was not there in Game7.
The Flyers controlled most of the start of the 1st period. But, after it would be all Islanders. The Islanders would outshot the Flyers 9-2 & score twice over the last 10:33 of the 1st period.
After another Flyers turnover, the Islanders would open the scoring. Scott Mayfield would fire a shot to the back post that would beat Hart. Hart left the corner open & Mayfield hit it.
Andy Greene would give the Islanders a 2-0 lead. Derrick Brassard would pull Hart out of position & fire a cross-ice pass to Andy Greene. Greene would score in the wide open net.
The 2nd period wasn’t any better for the Flyers. After being outshot 9-2 over last 10:33 in 1st, the Islanders would outshot the Flyers 9-3 in the 2nd period and take a 3-0 lead.
Ivan Provorov would blow a tire and the Islanders would go up ice on a 2v1. Josh Bailey would not shoot & passed it to Brock Nelson. Who would fire it by a diving Hart for the goal.
With a big 3rd period needed, the Flyers just ran out of gas. The Islanders would hold on. Scoring an empty-netter to move to the Eastern Conference Finals with a 4-0 shutout in Game7.
Carter Hart stopped 22 of the 25 shots he faced in the losing effort.
- Travis Konecny ended the playoffs goal-less. A stretch that now extends 20-games since Konecny’s last goal in the playoffs. The Flyers leading goal-scorer from the regular season finished with just 7-assists in 16-games.
- The Flyers power-play let the Flyers down all post-season. But, it killed the Flyers in the 2nd round vs the Islanders. Finishing just 4 for 52 (7.7%) & 0 for 13 against the Islanders.
- Turnovers were another key to the Flyers struggles this post-season. Getting lucky against a weaker Canadiens teams, the Islanders took advantage of most of the Flyers turnovers. Including two more goals off of turnovers tonight.
- While it is not the main reason, Thomas Greiss played a big part in why the Islanders are moving on. Winning both his starts in the series while stopping 72 of the 75 shots he faced.
- It was a good run, but the Flyers season has come to an end. An end that many didn’t believe would come this way. But, give credit to the Flyers for getting here & to the Islanders. Who took it to the Flyers & beat them by capitalizing on the Flyers mistakes. Something the Flyers just could not do.
- Sean Couturier announced post-game that he played in Game7 with a MCL strain his right knee. A similar injury that Couturier played through in 2018 vs the Penguins.
Result : Flyers 0 – Islanders 4 , LOSS
Series : Islanders win 4-3
Photo by Mark Blinch via Getty Images)